12/2/11

Ladies of Calvary: 30 Day Challenge - Day 1

Greetings & Welcome to our first lesson in “As Unto the Lord”! I am blessed and humbled to be leading you in this study and I am praying for the mighty hand of God to lead us every step of the way. This online study is meant to be a resource tool for you to use during our 30 DAY CHALLENGE to CHANGE the CULTURE of YOUR MARRIAGE. I will be posting daily (twice on Saturday, in order to observe the Sabbath) to this blog to bring you a devotional lesson (taken in part from the book As Unto the Lord: A Tool for Wives Who Want to Glorify God by Pam Forster), scripture reading and prayer requests from other sisters participating in this challenge. We will also have a weekly memory verse and a weekly Project CHALLENGE, more on that later. Please feel free to comment on all of our lesson blogs and email Sister Mac with ANY questions, comments or prayer requests.


Now that we have some housekeeping out of the way let’s buckle down and get started on our challenge!

30 Day Challenge: As Unto the Lord – Day 1

God created man and then woman, for man.

“And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a help meet for him.” Genesis 2:18 NKJV

We were created to be a help meet, a servant and co-heir of God’s will with our husbands. God’s pattern for marriage is ultimately to reflect, here on earth, the perfect relationship of Christ to His Church. This is a beautiful pattern and a masterpiece painted over and again in scripture. Practical application of this pattern however, in today’s society especially, can begin to look far different than the LORD intended . . . even in the Church. Consider yourself and how your own marriage (or relationship with Christ, if you are unmarried) has fulfilled this picture of the Church’s relationship to Jesus. Is it an accurate picture? Are you and your spouse “pointing others to the Savior as [you] live [your life] together?”

This is not a comment of stern condemnation, for most of you know and would agree I do not have a totally accurate “picture” in my own marriage. There is no perfect marriage here upon this earth. We can all now breathe a sigh of relief together * sigh *. These lessons are meant to present scriptures and tools to help guide and encourage you in painting a more accurate picture in your own marriage. These lessons are NOT meant to condemn or convict, that is the Holy Spirit’s job and I will leave that to the LORD’s capable hands. With all of this in mind and heart, let us look forward to the prospect that, “we are given the privilege of bringing glory to God while we enjoy the blessings of ‘being heirs together of the grace of life’”.

Let us step forward in our challenge today and commit to demolishing the “insurmountable” issues in our own life and marriage that start small then become a fleshly, out-of-control monster over time. “Selfishness, harsh words, self-pity, ungratefulness”, un-forgiveness, a victim spirit or a sense of entitlement - - - all of these can later become “bitterness and rebellion. The unchecked growth of bitterness and rebellion will choke out the godly love that must be at the heart of a marriage”.


“Our spiritual health depends on our daily communion with God through prayer and study of His Word, and our humble response, by the Holy Spirit’s enabling, to His Word through confession, repentance, and obedience. The purpose of this [online study] is to help wives in that process.”

As our daily challenge begins let us raise ourselves, my beloved sisters, beyond mere spiritual “milk”. Let us all, in one accord, dive into God’s Word ready to receive healing and restoration in our lives, while setting our sites on a closer walk with Him and our chosen husband. Yes, at one time YOU did choose your dear hubby! Promise me you will recall those words this week when his most grating habits are before you. *hugs*

Today’s devotional Reading:

We are beginning our study by examining our own hearts. Have you truly put all of your faith in Christ’s death and resurrection as your ONLY means of salvation?

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6

Next, step in our challenge? Use the following checklist as we move daily through our challenge to examine your own heart and intentions.

Today I will . . .

 Seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness.

 Exalt and fear the LORD above all.

 Stay to the goal of pleasing God in my marriage, not myself.

 Bring God glory by honoring my husband, and obeying him.

 Allow God’s Word and His will to govern my relationship with my husband.

 Humbly rest in the fact that God, in His loving sovereignty, has placed my husband over me.

 Recognize and honor the covenant made with my husband, before God.

 Recognize and seek to fulfill my God-given role as helper to my husband.

 Seek to submit to my husband in the same way that Jesus submitted to God.

 Strive in order that my attitude toward my husband will be an accurate picture of the believer’s reverence and love for Christ!

 Trust God to lead me, through my husband, working ALL things out for my ultimate good and HIS glory.

 Choose to honor my husband’s position as head over me because of my desire to obey God.

I know this was a lot to swallow in one day, but I have faith that the LORD will move in our hearts and I have faith that He is able to reveal and reward all that fervently seek him. I am praying for you this day as we move forward in this challenge together.

In Christ’s service,
Sister Mac
(a.k.a. Joyful Socks Mom)

. . . Tomorrow’s Challenge: Reverence in Heart – Now What?

• All quotes are taken directly from the book As Unto The Lord by Pam Forester unless otherwise sited in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.